Back to modelling this week but as the title suggests, I’ve decided to change my approach a little. Originally I intended go ahead and model the final low poly vehicles right off the bat and avoid any sub division modelling, as I assumed it would be faster. However through a combination of experimenting with my pickup and talking to industry professional, Liam McGlone, I have found that this is a suboptimal method of modelling vehicles. So this week, I’ve begun work on the sports car with a more traditional, high to low poly modelling work flow.
This involves using the turbosmooth modifier to create a high poly shell from a low poly ‘cage’, which can then be collapsed, cut in to and detailed. This method can be used to quickly achieve great results, as can be seen in the example below.
While it may seem that this workflow is for creating vehicles that are much higher resolution than my original intended specifications, one of the most consistent criticisms of my pickup has been the lack of detail. It should be much easier and more time efficient for me to control things like this if I’m optimizing a high poly model. I’ll let you know next week how it goes.